Jembisa is for those looking for an exceptional, personal African Safari. Only 280km from Johannesburg
It is perfect for family safaris or small groups of friends looking to experience true African hospitality and wildlife in a private, luxury safari lodge set within a private game reserve.
Jembisa is an idyllic bush home that is located within the Palala Game Reserve found in the heart of the beautiful Waterberg Biosphere located in the northern Limpopo Province of South Africa.
An exclusive booking policy means that guests have the lodge and reserve entirely to themselves. Children of all ages are welcome and it has proven to be an exceptional family safari destination. An additional advantage is that it is in a malaria-free area. It is also popular with small groups traveling together, safari weddings and tutored painting safaris. All guests are looked after extremely attentively by the staff.
Built originally as a family home Jembisa has a wonderful atmosphere of relaxation and comfort. The lodge is built from local stone and thatch with large, spacious rooms decorated with natural materials in an Afro-colonial style. There are 5 luxury en-suite bedrooms, 3 with private balconies and a 4 sleeper-children’s bunk room. All bathrooms have a shower and a bath. Cots are available for infants.
Having been a family home Jembisa benefits from some extras not usually found at safari lodges, for example a library, reading room, games room and tennis court. Arrangements are flexible to suit each person’s needs.
Guests can choose to relax by the saltwater pool, play a game of tennis on the floodlit court or for extra relaxation opt for a massage either in the privacy of their bedroom or on the secluded deck overlooking the river.
Game drives are in 4x4 open landrovers with highly trained and experienced rangers. Night drives provide the opportunity of seeing the nocturnal animals such as leopard, brown hyena, aardvark, civet cats and porcupines. Bush walks are always fascinating and guests may even get to experience the thrill of walking with rhino.
A favorite option amongst the children is to camp out for a night under the stars, getting closer to nature and waking to the splendid African dawn.
The Palala Reserve has, over time, been home to many amazing people, we will explore Bushman Paintings and archaeological sites, plus Stone Age, and early and late Iron Age sites. There are also many interesting things to do in the surrounding Waterberg Biosphere - horse riding for the novice to the experienced rider, elephant-back safaris, excursions to Big 5 Reserves, visit the local African art and curio shops, try some golf, and even a scenic helicopter flight.
All accommodation at Jembisa is extremely comfortable and care has been taken to ensure that everything is available to meet your needs. There are five luxury en-suite bedrooms, three with private balconies plus a children's bunkroom.
Arrangements are flexible to suit each parties needs. Bunk beds and cots for children are available. All bathrooms have both a shower and a bath.
Our chef David will prepare delicious meals for you. Local, fresh ingredients are used when in season including those from our own large, organic kitchen garden. Please let us know of any special dietary needs or preferences in advance.
Meals are varied affairs and may include picnics in the bush, dinner under the stars, lunch on the terrace, and al fresco breakfasts and brunches.
A wide range of beverages are available and wines are quality South African estate wines
ACTIVITIES AT THE LODGE AND IN THE RESERVE
Swim or relax by our natural saltwater pool
Play a game of tennis on the floodlit court
For extra relaxation opt for a massage either in the privacy of your
room or on the secluded deck where all you will hear is the birdsong and the river below. We use local organic oils including avocado oil and rose geranium oil.
Drives are in our 4x4 open landrovers with highly trained and experienced rangers. Night drives provide the opportunity of seeing the nocturnal animals such as leopard, brown hyena, aardvark, civet cats and porcupines.
Bush walks are always fascinating and experience the thrill of walking with rhino.
Camp out for a night under canvas, if you choose, getting closer to nature and waking with the African dawn.
Bushman Paintings and Archaeological sites
The reserve has been home to many peoples over time and there are stone age, early and late iron age sites and bushman paintings. We will gladly help you to explore these and share our knowledge with you.
There are lots of interesting places to visit and things to do in the area and we would be delighted to accompany you to those of your choice.
- Curio shops - the Waterberg boasts some exceptional curio and African art shops.
- Horse riding at Horizon Horseback - Adventures for the novice to the experienced rider
- Elephant-back safaris at Rock Lodge
- Day trips to Big 5 Reserves
- Scenic helicopter flights
Children at Jembisa
Children of all ages are extremely welcome at Jembisa. Having been a family home Jembisa is ideally suited to families with children. In particular having all bedrooms within the lodge provides parents with peace of mind when staying within a game reserve. Another important advantage to adults and children alike is that Jembisa is in a malaria free area. We aim to provide a family safari holiday where all ages are catered for including providing adults with some time for themselves
There is much for children to do here and activities can be tailor-made to suit them. These can include guided bush walks, instruction on tracking and bush lore, bug walks, slide shows and bush games. There are also children's books, games and wildlife videos available and a free babysitting service. Children's separate mealtimes can be arranged if you choose
Jembisa has hosted some beautiful bush weddings. As every wedding is such a personal experience we will liaise closely with you to meet your individual needs and requirements. We are able to host weddings with up to 40 guests and can arrange and provide the ingredients necessary for an exceptional, memorable wedding day.
All details will be carefully planned from the ceremony, flowers, decoration, guest accommodation, wedding banquet, reception, etc. We even have the most romantic and secluded honeymoon cottage. If you are considering a bush wedding we look forward to discussing your requirements with you
Jembisa is a bush home situated in it's own private game reserve, the Palala River Reserve, named after the river that runs through it. It is located in an area in the Limpopo province in South Africa known as the Waterberg.
From Johannesburg International Airport
· Take R21 to Pretoria for about 20 minutes
· Take the N1 highway North towards Pietersburg / Polokwane.
· Turn off at the Kranskop toll gate (third toll gate) to Nylstroom/Modimolle.
· Go through Nylstroom/Modimolle to Vaalwater (± 60km).
· In Vaalwater turn right at the stop street towards Melkriver
· Go ± 42 km and turn left onto a gravel road marked Melkriver School/Lapalala.
· After 6km turn right (there is an old Cape Dutch farm house on the right hand side) and pass the Rhino Museum.
· From the Rhino Museum drive 3.3km, the main entrance to Jembisa Lodge will be on your right.
· If you are driving to Kingfisher Cottage, continue past the main entrance to Jembisa. After 1km the road bends to the left. At the bottom of the hill, the Kingfisher gate will be on your right. Kingfisher entrance is before the Palala river bridge
· If you are driving to the Podica chalets, continue past the main entrance to Jembisa. After 1km the road bends to the left, go over the Palala River Bridge and through the electric gate. Drive another 1km and keep to the right of the fork and follow the Podica signs.
· If you are driving to River Cottage, do not take the Lapalala turn, but stay on the Melkrivier Road from Vaalwater until you reach a T-Junction. Turn left at the T, and approximately 2 kms on the left hand side you will see a farm gate. This is just before you cross the Palala River. Someone will greet you at the gate.
1-4 adults R3360.00 per person
5th adult - R3000.00
6th adult - R2200.00
7th adult - R2000.00
8th adult - R2000.00
9th adult - R1750.00
10 adult - R1750.00
Per child - R1750.00
Infants - R 650.00
· Minimum rate R13440.00 per night
· Rate is fully inclusive of:
· Exclusive use of the Lodge
· Personal chef
· Personal Game Ranger
· Two game drives per day
· All meals
· All alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
· Private Nanny
· Guided Bush Walks
· Camp outs under the stars
· 7 night stay
· From 1-10 guests
· Equates to R1950.00 per person per night for 10 guests
· Additional guests to pay R980.00 pppn
· Maximum capacity 14 guests
1-8 adults R1750.00 per person
9th adult - R1500.00
10 adult - R1500.00
Per child – R980.00
Per infant – R490.00
· Minimum of 4 adults = R7000.00 per night
· Minimum stay 2 nights
· Book & Stay within 30 days of travel